EDEN, N.C. - The words on the pages of a Bible were found unscathed after last week's fire at Arbor Ridge of Eden.
The fire and smoke claimed the life of Marie Griffin, a resident at the retirement community, and destroyed 10 apartments.
"At first glance I thought it was just gone," said Chris McAleer who first spotted the Bible while helping salvage items for residents. "But when I opened it up and saw that the pages weren't even burnt. It was a total shock."
McAleer said the fire destroyed other books in the apartment but not the Holy book.
"That kind of shows me there is something more there," said McAleer. "It's not just a book."
In an effort to share hope McAleer, who works night security at the retirement community, decided to record the discovery with his cell phone and share it on YouTube.
"Anytime you find something like that, especially under the circumstances, it's a good sign."
The Bible wasn't found in Griffin's apartment but McAleer said he hopes the discovery will help, in some way, comfort her family.
The fire marshal hasn't released an official cause of the fire.