Domestic violence results in death of Winston-Salem woman

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

WINSTON-SALEM, N.C. -- Domestic violence resulted in the death of a 53-year-old Winston-Salem woman early Thursday morning.

Police say they were called out to a home on Dacian Street shortly after 11 p.m. Wednesday after a report of a physical altercation.

People living nearby tell FOX8 the fight could be heard by neighbors.

“The detectives did come to our house and ask if we heard shots, screams or banging,” said Celina Flores, who lives across the street. “The neighbors did say that they did hear yelling and banging.”

When police arrived, they found Doris Lovell Caldwell unconscious. She was transported to the hospital where she was pronounced dead around 12:15 Thursday morning.

“I saw that she was on a stretcher, and they were trying to pump her, you know and bring her back,” Flores recalled.

Police say both Caldwell and the other person involved in the fight had injuries.

“I have a 3-year-old and just hate for him to see the cops come out for a situation like this,” Flores said.

Charges have not been filed in connection to Caldwell’s death.

This is the third homicide which occurred at a home with a Winston-Salem address in the last seven days.

Less than 24 hours before Caldwell’s death, Forsyth County Sheriff’s deputies responded to a home on Lamond Drive. When they arrived, they found 32-year-old Christopher Gilles Raymond had been shot and killed. A man living at the home, 26-year-old David Erik Van Slee, was charged with murder.

“We need to fix it, like, quick,” Flores said, when asked about the multiple homicides. “It’s starting to get closer and closer; obviously, it’s happening next door.”

Last Thursday, 40-year-old Nakia Laurence Paupaw was found dead in a wooded area behind an apartment complex on Franciscan Drive. Police determined that Paupaw’s death was the result of an assault that occurred inside the apartment of 51-year-old Adele Karcher Turner. Turner was subsequently charged with second-degree murder.