Rockingham judge seals 911 call in French homicide case

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

Ladonna Mosley French and Douglas Troy French

WENTWORTH, N.C. — A judge overrode objections Monday from the News & Record and sealed the audio tape of an emotional, 911 call linked to the murders of a well-known Reidsville couple more than four years ago.

Superior Court Judge Stan Allen ruled that releasing the tape now could prejudice potential jurors and make it too difficult to seat an impartial panel in Rockingham County to decide the fate of Jose Alvarez Jr., the Greensboro man accused of killing Douglas “Troy” and LaDonna Moseley French in February 2012.

Alvarez’s right to a fair trial trumps the media’s right to recordings that state law makes generally available to the public except in unusual or extreme circumstances, Allen said.

“The anticipated media coverage is expected to be great throughout the prosecution of this matter,” Allen said, noting that the tape had been released at the time of the slayings.

Read more: Greensboro News & Record