FOX8/WGHP telethon raises over $122,000 for hurricane victims – help still needed

Graham fire victim released from hospital; speaking out about traumatic experience

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

GRAHAM, NC -- The story of a Graham family pulled at the heartstrings of many after the father, Joseph Allen, was credited with saving his three kids and his wife Katherine from a house fire.

Katherine Allen was released from the hospital last week after suffering smoke inhalation from the Jan. 25 fire.

"It was very traumatic for me and the kids and for everybody," she said.

Her husband remains in the hospital. Fire officials said he broke through multiple windows to rescue his three children, and in the process, got lacerations and suffered from smoke inhalation.

"He's one of those people that would do that for anyone," Katherine said. "He's done that a couple times since we've been married. He helped an elderly lady close to where we live when she had a house fire too."

Katherine said Joseph is still not able to speak, but he did regain consciousness about a week ago.

"He's still on a ventilator and not breathing on his own yet," she said. "But we're getting there."

After the Alamance County community heard what happened to the Allens, many donated clothing and money for the children.

"It's been really helpful," Katherine said. "I was amazed by all the help that we got. It was really overwhelming for me. I'm not used to all the help."

Katherine said she hopes to be able to return to work soon. She said she and the kids are staying with family, but are hoping to find a rental home soon.