Sentencing set for ex-Greensboro businessman convicted of fraud, but he wants new lawyers

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

Stan Kowalewski (Image via the Greensboro News & Record)

Federal authorities have scheduled sentencing on Feb. 18 for ex-Greensboro businessman and former high-school basketball coach Stan Kowalewski, who was convicted late last year in a multimillion-dollar securities fraud.

U.S. District Judge Richard Story set Kowalewski’s sentencing at 9:30 that morning in Atlanta for his conviction on 24 counts of wire fraud and obstructing a federal investigation.

But the hearing is not a sure thing. Kowalewski sought to fire his government-paid lawyers, get new legal representation at taxpayer expense and delay the sentencing, his current public defender said Monday.

“Mr. Kowalewski is dissatisfied with his counsel, Victoria Calvert and Millie Dunn of the Federal Defender Program Inc., and would like the court to hold an ex-parte hearing wherein the defendant can speak freely and inform the court of his basis (for being dissatisfied),” Dunn said in a written court petition filed Monday.

Read more: Greensboro News and Record