Mother escapes Lexington house fire with 5-year-old, newborn

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

LEXINGTON, N.C. -- A mother and her two young children are doing well after escaping their burning home Sunday night on Melrose Drive.

"I've never seen flames like that -- I mean, oh my God," said neighbor Nieema Sanford. "All I could think of is, 'Is she in there with those babies?'"

Sanford says the woman, who investigators would not identify, threw her 5-year-old out the front door and then went to rescue her infant son.

"Grabbed her newborn and -- tucked and roll -- and jumped out of the window," Sanford said. "Jumped out with no shoes on."

Neighbors quickly came to help as firefighters put out the blaze. Investigators believe the fire started due to the overuse of an extension cord.

Neighbors say the mother had just returned home with her infant who had undergone surgery.

The children were checked out by EMS and are all doing well, according to Lexington Fire Department officials.

The American Red Cross is assisting the family. If you would like to help contact the American Red Cross of Lexington.

Notice: you are using an outdated browser. Microsoft does not recommend using IE as your default browser. Some features on this website, like video and images, might not work properly. For the best experience, please upgrade your browser.