HIGH POINT, N.C. -- A fire reported inside a steeple at a High Point church has been contained and nobody was hurt.
About five staff members were inside the church at Wesleyan Christian Academy and Childcare at 1917 North Centennial St. when a thunderstorm came through and they heard a lightning strike.
A firefighter on the edge of a ladder has been stung by bees from inside the steeple but is OK.
Principal Tim Rickman said in his 20 years, there has never been a fire at the school. The only major damage from the fire is to the steeple itself.
"We are thankful for that and it's in the steeple, we'd love to keep the steeple but I don’t think we're going to be able to keep that one," Rickman said.
Rickman said a church was planning on using the sanctuary for Christmas services but will use another area of the school for safety reasons.
Deputy Fire Chief Tim Wright said though there will still be an investigation, it's likely that lightning sparked the fire.
The location of the steeple was a challenge for firefighters to access the fire.
“The parking doesn’t go totally up to the building therefore we lose some of the length of our ladder trying to do this," Wright said.