Thomasville funeral home employee charged with embezzlement

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.


THOMASVILLE, N.C. -- A Thomasville man is facing multiple felony charges after police say he embezzled money from the funeral home at which he worked.

Samuel Booker, 29, is charged with felony embezzlement and eight felony counts of obtaining property by false pretenses.

He was the operations manager at Prominence Funeral Services on Guilford Street in Thomasville.

Detective Steve Boles with the Thomasville Police Department said they’ve been investigating the case for several months and arrested Booker Monday night.

Investigators believe Booker was using Prominence Funeral bank accounts for personal use, such as paying Verizon and Duke Energy bills.

The embezzlement charge stems from a funeral this past July. Detective Boles said Booker apparently charged a family for a funeral, and the funeral happened as planned, but the nearly $2,000 was never deposited into Prominence’s account.

Clarence Boston is the former CEO of Prominence who sold the business earlier this year and first noticed the financials seemed off.

“I would never in a million years thought anything like this would happen to me especially dealing with any of my employees so it’s just always good to keep a better eye on employees, especially when you’re putting your business in their hands,” Boston pointed out.

He filed the police report with TPD when he suspected something was wrong with the Prominence bank account. Turns out, police say, Booker was also misusing money under the new ownership.

The funeral home was locked Tuesday and no one answered the door. It’s unclear if they were closed for the holidays or because of the investigation related to this employee.

Of his former business, Boston said, “Of course, I want the business to do well and succeed. It’s just getting the bad apple out of the business.”

Booker posted bond and was released from custody.

Boston added, “It came back to bite him in the butt, and I’m pretty sure justice will be served.”