Two displaced after house fire in Eden

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

EDEN, N.C. — Two people were displaced after a fire broke out at their home in Eden on Thursday morning.

The fire started at a single-family home located at 1509 Lincoln Street in Eden around 4 a.m., according to Tommy Curry with the Rockingham County Fire Marshal’s Office.

The Eden Fire Department, the Eden Police Department, the Draper Fire Department, the Leaksville Fire Department and the Oregon Hill Fire Department all responded to the home.

The two men who live in the home woke up because of the fire and were able to escape.

“I was in a dead sleep and my roommate came crashing through the door saying, ‘Get out, get out the house is on fire!’” said Kevin Jones. “The only other thing I could do was grab my little dog up and run him out. By that time there was so much smoke in the house you couldn’t make it back in.”

Jones said the home was originally his grandparents’ and has been in their family for three generations. He and his roommate, Jesse Edwards, were shaken up but okay.

Jones’ sister, Lori Mabe, lives with their parents next door and said the whole situation is very overwhelming.

“I looked out the window and the whole top of the house was engulfed already in flames. I’m just grateful that my brother is alive. That’s the most important thing,” she said.

Mabe added, “We have faith in God, and I know that he will see us through this.”

Two rooms of the home were completely burned through, and the rest of the house has heat and smoke damage.

Curry said the fire appears to be accidental. He said the home is a complete loss. Curry explained that a space heater was at the center of where the fire started, and it was possibly the cause.

He told FOX8 Thursday afternoon he did not believe the heater malfunctioned, but may have been positioned too closely to combustibles. The investigation is ongoing.

Curry also said while there was a smoke detector inside still in its packaging, there were no working smoke detectors installed in the house. He encourages all homeowners to make installing smoke detectors a priority.

Nationwide Insurance shared an infographic about space heaters that shows numbers from the National Fire Prevention Association. It says 80% of home heating fires involve space heaters. Space heaters lead to thousands of fires, hundreds of deaths and injuries, and millions in property damage every year.

The NFPA advises keeping space heaters level and three feet away from anything that can burn.

Both residents plan to stay with neighbors and the Red Cross was assisting.

Notice: you are using an outdated browser. Microsoft does not recommend using IE as your default browser. Some features on this website, like video and images, might not work properly. For the best experience, please upgrade your browser.