Keyless vehicles blamed for deaths

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

CHARLOTTE, N.C. — More new vehicles are being built with keyless ignitions. Push a button and they start, nice and easy. But it can be easy to forget that the vehicle is on, even in your garage, and that can be deadly, WSOC reported.

People have driven into their garages, gotten out of their vehicles, forgotten that the engines were still running and died from carbon monoxide poisoning.

“It didn’t occure to me that I’d lose my dad this way”

Ray Harrington was a softball coach, airman, police officer and college professor at Pfeiffer University in Stanly County. In 2012, he came home one day, parked in the garage of his Davidson townhouse, walked inside, went to sleep and never woke up.


Notice: you are using an outdated browser. Microsoft does not recommend using IE as your default browser. Some features on this website, like video and images, might not work properly. For the best experience, please upgrade your browser.