Fire sweeps through disabled veteran’s Randleman home — ‘Everything is gone’

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

RANDLEMAN, N.C. -- Ballard Anderson knows a thing or two about tough times.

"If I could still be in it, I would. I loved the Coast Guard," remembers 55-year-old Anderson with tears in his eyes. "I broke my neck and my back in a boating accident and I had to retire for medical reasons."

But even those injuries weren't as tough as what he's going through now. Fire swept through his Randleman home Friday morning. Everything now, black soot. Nothing salvageable.

"We just have the clothes on our backs, everything, everything is gone. It happened so fast," said Anderson.

Both Anderson and his wife Laura weren't inside the home, but their dog Molly B was killed in the fire.

Firefighters believe the fire started in an electrical socket in the home's back bedroom.

The couple has insurance and for now are staying at a hotel.

Friends of the family have started a fundraising campaign to help the couple with expenses in the short term. If you would like to help, click here.