Day of cleanup in Triad after storm

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

“I didn’t realize how bad the storm was until I drove on my street and saw a tree was down in front of my neighbor’s house. And then as I kept driving I saw my trampoline had flown down the street,” Myoshia Graham Mason said.

Mason was driving home from church Wednesday night when the storm hit. She lives on Meadowbrook Boulevard in High Point.

“I’ve never seen anything like this in my life,” Mason said.

First responders in Guilford, Stokes, Surry, Yadkin and Wilkes counties say a few streets in those areas experienced storm damage.

Downed trees, people without power, ruined cars and street closures were just the beginning of people’s problems Wednesday night. On Thursday morning, these problems carried over into the day. Homeowners and car owners spent the day on the phone with their insurance companies.

City maintenance crews and fire departments spent Thursday picking up debris from the streets. People without power waited until their electricity was cut back on.

There were no reports of injuries as a result of the storms.

Laura Breeden, who lives on Radford Street in High Point, was inside her house with her husband and grandchildren during the storm. She looked outside to see how bad things were getting and witnessed a tree fall in her yard.

“The tree was swaying and the sky was dark,” Breeden said. “And all of a sudden it was coming this way. And I said, ‘Oh my God, the tree is falling! The tree is falling!'”

That tree fell on top of her husband’s car. The trunk was dented, the back window glass shattered and a backlight was ruined.

Notice: you are using an outdated browser. Microsoft does not recommend using IE as your default browser. Some features on this website, like video and images, might not work properly. For the best experience, please upgrade your browser.