‘Harry Potter and the Cursed Child:’ J.K Rowling announces new play
LONDON — “Harry Potter” has fired imaginations on the page and the big screen and now his story is set to continue, with the wizard schoolboy spending a spell treading the boards in London’s theater land.
Author J.K. Rowling announced in a series of tweets Friday that the play “Harry Potter And The Cursed Child” would open in London’s West End in 2016.
Marking the 18-year anniversary of the publication of “Harry Potter and the Philosopher’s Stone,” with a message on Twitter, Potter’s creator continued: “I’m also very excited to confirm today that a new play called Harry Potter and the #CursedChild will be opening in London next year.”
“Produced by Sonia Friedman Productions, Colin Callender’s Playground Entertainment and Harry Potter Theatrical Productions, tickets for “Harry Potter and the Cursed Child” will go on public sale this fall, details of which will be announced in summer 2015 and will be shared on the official website in late July,” a statement on her website continued.
Rowling confirmed that the production would tell a new story.
Anticipating questions as to why it would not be appearing in book form, Rowling said she was confident that “when audiences see the play they will agree that it was the only proper medium for the story.”
“Harry Potter” fans (self-proclaimed “Potterheads”) on Twitter were predictably excited, posting images of celebrations at Hogwarts, the fictional wizards’ school attended by Potter.
Rowling said the new play would not be a prequel, but said she didn’t want to go into more detail “to spoil what I know will be a real treat for fans.”
The news follows confirmation of a much-anticipated “Harry Potter” spinoff movie.
Warner Bros. Pictures (owned by Time Warner, as is CNN) confirmed earlier this month that Oscar Winner Eddie Redmayne would be the star of “Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them,” a trilogy based on a book central to the “Harry Potter” saga.