OCEAN ISLE BEACH, N.C. — A fire killed more than a dozen dogs at a kennel in Ocean Isle Beach Sunday.
The fire started at Diamond-A-Kennels, located at 60 Green Bay Road, around 8:45 p.m., according to WECT.
Surveillance footage shows the fire started at 7:30 p.m. in a room where small dogs were housed.
Firefighters were able to contain the fire to one room, but 13 dogs were killed.
According to WECT, 18 other dogs survived.
Investigators said a malfunctioning backup air conditioning unit is to blame for the fire.
The kennel contacted the owners of all the dogs and is paying for the cremation of the dogs that died.
Investigators told the kennel owners that they can still operate out of the portion of the building not affected by the fire.
Diamond-A-Kennels has been in business for 18 years.