FOX8/WGHP telethon raises over $122,000 for hurricane victims – help still needed

‘Cinnamon can kill’: 4-year-old boy dies after tragedy involving cinnamon

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

MADISON COUNTY, Ky. – A 4-year-old boy in Kentucky has died after taking in too much cinnamon, according to WLEX. Now, his parents are planning his funeral.

Brianna Radar said her young son Matthew loved to climb. He was exploring the kitchen at her Richmond apartment when he climbed on top of the stove and got into some cinnamon.

“He started choking, it was like he was having a seizure and just collapsed,” the mother said.

Matthew was rushed to the hospital and pronounced dead an hour and a half later. The coroner calls the death- accidental. He said cinnamon can cause asphyxiation when inhaled.

The boy choked on it and it got into his lungs, according to the report.

Matthew’s relatives still hold his favorite stuffed animal for comfort. His mother donated his organs to hopefully save other lives. Now, she wants to warn others about the kitchen hazard.

“To let people know cinnamon can kill,” the mother said. “All these kids to the cinnamon challenge. They don’t think about the fact it can hurt them.”