WINSTON-SALEM, N.C. -- It’s the time of year to throw some burgers on the grill.
Of course, mustard, ketchup and cheese are great, but you can try lots of new toppings too.
Shannon Smith tried some different burgers at Bad Daddy’s in Winston-Salem.
Mama Ricotta's Burger-
Basic burger with fresh mozzarella, pesto, vine ripened tomatoes, pepperoncini and extra virgin olive oil
- 1lb fresh basil stems removed
- 3/4 c olive (Puglia) oil
- 3 cups blend oil,
- 1 1/4 c almonds silvered nuts,
- 1 1/4 c walnuts chopped
- 2 ounces peeled garlic minced
- 1 ounce salt kosher
1) In small lexan, combine all ingredients except basil. Puree with immersion blender until smooth
2) Slowly incorporate the basil, immerse in the oil mix and blend with immersion blender in small batches. **Basil must be submerged in oil to avoid oxidation
3) Continue with this process until all basil is blended.
Bacon Cheeseburger on Steroids
Basic burger topped with Monterey Jack cheese with 3 pieces of jalapeno bacon, 3 pieces of apple wood smoked bacon, bacon mayo, lettuce, tomatoes, and pickles served on a bun.
- Bacon mayo prep
- 2 ounces pre-cooked jalapeno bacon
- 2 apple wood bacon
- 1 qt. mayonnaise
- 1 oz red wine vinegar
- 1/2 oz
- French fry seasoning
1) Warm bacon to drain fat. Puree bacon in food processor until like small pebbles.
2) Drain bacon on paper towel.
3) Mix remaining ingredients in a bowl.
4) Add bacon and mix.
Crispy or grilled black bean burger topped with green chile's, avocados and chipotle ranch, cheddar and Monterey jack cheeses.
Black bean burger prep
- 6 cans black beans rinsed
- 1/2 cups chili sauce
- 1/2 cup fresh chives chopped
- 1/4 qt roasted corn
- red bell pepper small diced
- yellow bell pepper small
- 2 yellow onion small diced
- 3/4 oz ancho powder spice
- 2 oz roasted garlic pepper spice
- ¼ c salt kosher
- 3/4 cup sour cream
- Japanese bread crumbs
1) Drain and rinse 4 cans of black beans under cold water
2) add 4 cans of black beans and pulse with the immersion blender until pureed.
3)Drain and rinse remaining 2 cans of black beans and add to lexan.
4) Add remaining ingredients and mix well. Mixture should be firm.
5) Cover, label date, refrigerate.
6) Or patty into 6oz portions , store in a covered lexan, label, date, refrigerate.
Emilio's Chicken Sandwich
Buttermilk fried chicken breast topped with guacamole, jalapeno bacon, onions tomato, lettuce mozzarella and poblano pepper mayo.
- 6 avocado peeled and pitted
- 1 lime juiced,
- 1 tbl salt kosher spice
- 2 cups pico de gallo
With a fork or whisk, smash the avocados. add the other ingredients and stir until proper consistency is met
Pico de Gallo Recipe
- 3 cup diced,
- 4 chopped tomatoes
- 1/2 cup diced
- diced red onion
- 1 T minced jalapeno pepper
- 1/2 bunch chopped fresh cilantro
- 2 T kosher salt
- 2 lime (juiced)