FOX8/WGHP telethon raises over $122,000 for hurricane victims – help still needed

Firefighters warn smokers to be more careful when putting out cigarettes

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

HIGH POINT, N.C. – High Point firefighters are warning residents of several porch fires all due to cigarettes.

Fire Inspector William Bump said the fires were due to occupants not using a proper ash tray and the spark from the porch area engulfed other interiors of the home.

“Since April 1st, we've had four fires here in High Point alone that have resulted in over $200,000 worth of damage and have displaced 16 people,” Bump said.

No one was hurt in any of the fires.

“Plastic trash cans, potted plans , mulch beds or things like that and as these things accumulate especially in hot dry weather the fires can originate in these areas and they can extend up the outside of the home,” Bump said.

Bump and other firefighters are warning smokers to be aware of how they extinguish cigarettes.