HIGH POINT, N.C. -- Lots of thrill seekers head to Carowinds to ride the big roller coasters.
But, if you’re of a foodie, then you’ll find plenty for you at the amusement park, too.
The head chef at Carowinds shared some of the new Carolina-themed menu items.
You can try them and much more over the next two Saturdays at Taste of the Carolinas Carowinds events.
Pulled Pork Spring Roll
- 1 cup pulled pork
- 1 quart cabbage, shaved
- 1 cup red pepper, julienne
- 1 cup red onion, julienne
- ½ cup scallion, small dice
- 1 tlb chives, chopped fine
- 1 tlb cilantro, chopped
- 1/2 cup lime juice, fresh
- 1/2 cup lemon juice, fresh,
- 1/2 cup orange juice, fresh
- 1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
- Kosher salt
- 1 tlb hot sauce
- 26 rice paper
- 1 cup BBQ sauce
- ½ cup blackberry dijon mustard
- ¼ cup dijon mustard
- Combine cabbage, red pepper, red onion, scallion, chives, cilantro, lime, lemon, orange juice, vinegar, salt, pepper, and hot sauce in a bowl and mix gently. Let marinate 24 hours.
- Combine BBQ sauce and both mustards.
- Dip 1 rice paper in bowl of water for 15 sec. Place on cutting board and layer slaw. Repeat with another rice paper and place it over the slaw. Spoon pork in the bottom center of the circle and roll like a burrito. Cut in half and serve with mustard sauce.
Sweet Potato Dumplings
- 5 cups sweet potato casserole
- Eggs -- 1 each
- Puff pastry, cut into squares -- 8 each
- ¼ cup butter
- ½ cup sugar
- 2 tlb cornstarch
- 1 tlb vanilla extract
- 1 tlb cinnamon
- 1 cup water
- Combine sweet potato and eggs.
- Layout puff pastry and place one #16 scoop of potato mixture. Fold four corners over mixture. Place each dumpling seam side down on greased pan.
- Combine sugar, butter and cornstarch in sauce pan, heat to melt and add vanilla last.
- Pour sugar mixture over the dumplings, dust with cinnamon and bake 350° 35 to 40 mins.
Jalapeno Pimento Cheese Ball
- ¼ cup pimentos, chopped
- 8 oz cream Cheese
- ½ tlb Worcestershire
- 1 cup cheddar cheese
- 4 tsp jalapeno, fresh, minced
- ½ tlb chives, fine chop
- 2 tsp green onions, chop fine
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- ½ tsp Puckerbutt Hot Sauce
- 2 tlb cranberry Jelly
- 1 sleeve assorted crackers
- Combine pimentos, cream cheese, Worcestershire, cheddar cheese, salt, pepper, hot sauce in food processor, Blend until semi-smooth.
- Roll into balls and roll in minced jalapeño, chives and scallions covering outside of ball until completely green. Wrap individually and refrigerate overnight.