Chris Brown battery investigation dropped
LAS VEGAS — A man who said he was punched by singer Chris Brown during an early morning basketball game in Las Vegas has declined to pursue charges.
Police wanted to talk to Brown, who had been named as a suspect in the battery case on Monday.
“The victim alleging that he was battered by recording artist Chris Brown has told LVMPD detectives that he no longer wants to go forward with criminal charges,” police said in a statement Tuesday.
The man told police he’d been playing basketball at the Palms Casino Resort when an argument broke out and Brown punched him. When he prepared to defend himself, he said, another man who was with Brown hit him.
“A verbal altercation on the court led to a physical fight and the victim was punched by another male subject who was later identified as 25-year-old recording artist Chris Brown,” police said in a news release.
Via publicist Nicole Perna, Brown denied being involved in the confrontation.
“Chris is currently in Las Vegas as he is performing at Drai’s on May 5th and receiving a Key to the Strip that day as well,” Perna said in a statement. “He has a suite at the hotel that has a basketball court and invited friends to come play. An unruly individual showed up uninvited and was removed from the premises. Chris was not in an altercation with this person.”
The alleged victim was treated for injuries at Sunrise Hospital & Medical Center and released.
Las Vegas Metropolitan Police detectives went to the hotel to talk to Brown but the singer wasn’t available.
Brown was given the option of signing a citation for misdemeanor battery, according to LVMPD, or having the case submitted to the Clark County District Attorney’s Office for prosecution.
LVMPD will no longer pursue charges.
Brown’s previous clashes with the law have been well-publicized.
In June 2009, he pleaded guilty to committing felony assault during a fight with then-girlfriend singer Rihanna. His five-year probation period in that case ended in March 2015.