911 calls add details to High Point University student’s death

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

HIGH POINT, N.C. -- 911 tapes released Wednesday detail the chilling scene drivers discovered early Friday morning.

"There's this guy laying in the middle of the road and this car hit him," described one caller.

"It's right at Exit 33. I'm sitting here at the exit and there's a body laying here, probably dead," said another caller.

Troopers said 19-year-old Mario Mayorga, a sophomore at High Point University, was hit by a truck while he was walking along I-85 near the Groometown Road exit.

Cab company Blue Bird Taxi said one of its drivers picked up Mayorga from a bar in downtown Greensboro at 12:17am Friday.

The cab company said a friend of Mayorga's paid the fare to have Mayorga taken back to his HPU dorm.

The cab company initially said that Mayorga was let out at the Exxon station at Vickrey Chapel Road, but later changed that story.

Blue Bird said Mayorga said he needed to throw up and attempted multiple times to exit the cab while it was on the highway. The cab company now said Mayorga got out of the car near the Groometown Road exit, which is three miles away from the Exxon.

The cab company said it has a tracking device in every taxi and that it shows Mayorga's driver going very slowly in that area -- taking two minutes to go a quarter mile. During that time, the company said the driver was trying to convince Mayorga to reenter the vehicle, which he never did.

Blue Bird said, once Mayorga started walking against traffic, the driver could no longer follow him and so she left.

At 12:44 p.m., the first 911 call came in saying that there was a body in the road.

Mayorga was from East Hampton, N.Y. Alexandra Bates, his best friend from East Hampton, described him as a selfless, outgoing person.

"The only way I can really describe him is as a beacon of light," Bates said. "Everybody in our community held him in the highest of regards. He did everything for everybody."

Bates said Mayorga was always happy and loved being at High Point University.

"He was always trying to recruit anyone he could to go," Bates said. "Because he just ranted and raved about that school. It was his second home. He loved it. Absolutely loved it."

"I saw him that day, earlier that day," said Riley McMahom, who attended high school with Mayorga in East Hampton and at High Point University. McMahom says he was very involved and always optimistic. "He always had a bright outlook on every situation."

East Hampton High School is planning to start a scholarship in Mayorga's honor. High Point University said they are in talks with his family to create some kind of a permanent tribute to him on campus. HPU said on what would have been Mayorga's graduation day in May 2017, the university will present Mayorga's parents with his diploma in his honor.

Notice: you are using an outdated browser. Microsoft does not recommend using IE as your default browser. Some features on this website, like video and images, might not work properly. For the best experience, please upgrade your browser.