Toddler dies after drinking babysitter’s methadone-laced soda

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

Cassie Townsend. (Source: Bessemer PD)

BESSEMER, Ala. — A woman was arrested after a toddler she was babysitting died from drinking methadone-laced soda.

Cassie Denise Townsend was babysitting 2-year-old Demonie Hendon when she allegedly set down a drink mixed with methadone.

Later she noticed the drink was gone. When the child started acting sick she took him to the hospital, according to WBRC.

Saturday Demonie was placed on life support. On Monday, Demonie died when he was taken off of life support.

Townsend was arrested and charged with chemical child endangerment.