School officials in Forsyth County say new spaces will be ready Monday

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

Tori Petty, a parent of a Hanes Middle School students, helps move delicate items out of the school on Wednesday, Feb. 25, 2015 in Winston-Salem, N.C. (Andrew Dye/Journal)

WINSTON-SALEM, N.C. — Ready or not, here they come. Nearly 1,200 Hanes and Lowrance middle school students will start at new schools Monday morning, according to the Winston-Salem Journal.

School officials have been working to ready the needed space at Smith Farm Elementary and Atkins High School and reopen the former Hill Middle School, which had been closed since 2012. When students arrive via brand new bus routes Monday, that building will say “Hanes Magnet School.” School officials say they’ll be ready.

“We’re definitely on schedule, if not a little before,” said Theo Helm, a spokesman for Winston-Salem/Forsyth County Schools. “We anticipate everything (will) be ready on Monday.”

The unprecedented move was made as a response to concerns that toxic vapors from contaminated groundwater under the Hanes and Lowrance campus could make their way into the buildings. The Board of Education voted 7-2 on Feb. 10 to make the move for the remainder of the school year, choosing to err on the side of caution, several members said.

Read full story: The Winston-Salem Journal