ASHEVILLE, N.C. — A North Carolina family believes their 11-month-old German Shepherd mix puppy was poisoned by his dog food.
Sandi Boniello told WLOS that Toby became sick all of the sudden and the vet diagnosed him with acute kidney failure. The Asheville resident said he had to be put to sleep within days.
Boniello’s claim comes as a class-action lawsuit was filed this month against Purina on behalf of about 3,000 dog owners. They claim their pets died under similar circumstances after eating Purina’s Beneful brand food.
“When we have cases that don’t make sense, when you have a dog that suddenly develops kidney failure … that should raise some questions,” said Dr. Randy Wetzel at REACH Animal Hospital, which took care of Toby. “Why did that happen?”
Read full story: WLOS