North Carolina family blames beloved puppy’s death on dog food

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

ASHEVILLE, N.C. — A North Carolina family believes their 11-month-old German Shepherd mix puppy was poisoned by his dog food.

A North Carolina family is heartbroken by the sudden death of Toby, their beloved dog. (WLOS)

A North Carolina family is heartbroken by the sudden death of Toby, their beloved dog. (WLOS)

Sandi Boniello told WLOS that Toby became sick all of the sudden and the vet diagnosed him with acute kidney failure. The Asheville resident said he had to be put to sleep within days.

Boniello’s claim comes as a class-action lawsuit was filed this month against Purina on behalf of about 3,000 dog owners. They claim their pets died under similar circumstances after eating Purina’s Beneful brand food.

“When we have cases that don’t make sense, when you have a dog that suddenly develops kidney failure … that should raise some questions,” said Dr. Randy Wetzel at REACH Animal Hospital, which took care of Toby. “Why did that happen?”

Read full story: WLOS

Notice: you are using an outdated browser. Microsoft does not recommend using IE as your default browser. Some features on this website, like video and images, might not work properly. For the best experience, please upgrade your browser.