Grandmother credited with saving kids from fire

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

LAS VEGAS — A grandmother was credited with helping two children escape a fire at a home early Monday morning.

North Las Vegas Fire Department reported the fire at a two-story home near Revere Street and West Gowan Road about 2 a.m.

Capt. Cedric Williams of NLVFD said four people were inside the home when the fire broke out and one man was able to get out just as a police officer arrived.

According to Williams, the grandmother went upstairs with two of her grandchildren and she was able to drop the kids out of the second story window to her husband and the police officer.

Fire officials said she was unable to get out of the room, but firefighters used a ladder to rescue her. Firefighters were able to take control of the fire in about five minutes.

There were no major injuries. The American Red Cross was assigned to assist the family with relief efforts.

The fire department estimated damage to cost a total of $250,000.

Notice: you are using an outdated browser. Microsoft does not recommend using IE as your default browser. Some features on this website, like video and images, might not work properly. For the best experience, please upgrade your browser.