Immigration rally held at Executive Mansion in Raleigh
RALEIGH, N.C. — Dozens gathered outside the Executive Mansion Thursday evening for a rally in an attempt to ask Gov. Pat McCrory to work with the hundreds of thousands illegal immigrants in North Carolina.
In November, President Obama announced a new immigration policy protecting millions of people from deportation. Since then, more than 20 governors, including McCrory, have filed a lawsuit against the plan.
Rally organizers said attempts to talk to the governor directly have failed. So they chose to rally outside the mansion and yell chants, such as, “Si se puede! Yes we can!”
Among the chanting though, were softer voices in the crowd, like that of Jorge Ramos. Ramos is just 17. The Apex high school senior was born in Mexico but has lived in the U.S. for 11 years. He’s breathing easier since President Obama announced temporary legal status and work permits for nearly five million undocumented immigrants. One of the many goals behind the plan is to keep families together.
“I don’t have to worry about not ever seeing my parents again one day when I get home,” said Ramos.
Read more: WTVD