Toddler dies after man allegedly jumps on him repeatedly

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

Mirsad Hamidovic

KANSAS CITY, Mo. — A 23-year-old man allegedly confessed to jumping up and down on a toddler who has died from his injuries.

Kansas City Police Chief Darryl Forte said in a tweet that the 2-year-old died Saturday night and is the city’s first homicide of the year.

According to court documents, the boy wasn’t expected to survive after suffering head and brain injuries and a lacerated liver. He had bruising on his brain.

Family friends posted on KCTV5’s Facebook page that they are asking for prayers.

The Jackson County Prosecutor’s Office has charged Mirsad Hamidovic of Kansas City with two counts of felony child abuse and two counts of first-degree domestic assault. Those charges may change after toddler’s death.

Police were called at 3 a.m. Friday to an apartment at 1748 Washington Avenue where they found paramedics working on the boy, who is called L.E. in court documents. The toddler turned 2 in late October.

The boy’s mother said she had left her son in Hamidovic’s care when she went to work at 4 p.m. Thursday. The suspect admitted that he was watching the child, but gave differing accounts of how the boy was injured.

Eventually Hamidovic admitted that the boy was lying on his back on a bed with his head partially on a window sill, according to court documents.

“The suspect jumped up in the air and came down on the victim’s chest and the victim’s head may have hit the window sill,” according to court documents. “The suspect said the victim was on his back on the ground when the suspect jumped off the bed up in the air and came down on the victim’s chest with his forearms in front of him. He did this twice. The suspect stated the victim was coughing up blood and he cleaned the blood off the victim’s mouth in a panic.”

Hamidovic said the boy lost consciousness and he violently shook the boy, sending his head and arms flailing about.

Court documents don’t indicate whether Hamidovic then called 911.

The accused has three biological children that he said he regularly sees. Prosecutors are asking for the suspect to be held on $500,000 bond.

Source: KCTV

Notice: you are using an outdated browser. Microsoft does not recommend using IE as your default browser. Some features on this website, like video and images, might not work properly. For the best experience, please upgrade your browser.