69 people die after drinking beer contaminated with crocodile bile in Mozambique

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

(Stock photo)

CHITIMA, Mozambique — At least 69 people died over the weekend after drinking contaminated home-brewed beer in a Mozambique village.

According to the BBC, the mass poisoning happened while people attended a funeral on Saturday.

The beer, known as “phombe,” is traditionally served at functions in Mozambique’s Tete province.

The beer is believed to have been poisoned with crocodile bile, the province’s director said. This has not yet been confirmed in tests.

It is unclear how the beer got contaminated or if it was intentional.

Notice: you are using an outdated browser. Microsoft does not recommend using IE as your default browser. Some features on this website, like video and images, might not work properly. For the best experience, please upgrade your browser.