FOX8/WGHP holding telethon for hurricane victims today – Call 336-821-FOX8

Three new charges filed against mom of murdered Raleigh toddler

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

Briana Dangerfield appears in court.

RALEIGH – Authorities have now charged 25-year-old Briana Dangerfield with attempting to conceal the murder of her 2-year-old son Tristan Blue, altering and destroying evidence, and concealing the death of the child.

According to WTVD, the move came as Raleigh police said Friday a search of a northern Wake County lake led to the discovery of human remains that could be the toddler.

The remains, which were found in the water off Creedmoor Road, were taken to the N.C. Office of the Chief Medical Examiner for further analysis.

Tristan’s father – 31-year-old Steven Daniel Blue – appeared before a judge on a murder charge in Raleigh Friday and was told he’ll stay in jail without bond. He was first charged Christmas Day.

Tristan Blue – who was nearly 3 years old – was reported missing Wednesday at his home at the Arbor Creek Apartments off Buck Jones Road.

Blue told investigators he last saw the boy at 7:45 a.m. Police were not contacted by Dangerfield until just before 1:15 p.m.

In a 911 call released Friday, she told an operator she had gone through the neighborhood calling for him but couldn’t find him.

“I woke up 15 minutes ago. I worked overnight and the front door was open and there was a package on the porch and my 3-year-old was missing,” she said.

Investigators initially said they believed the child may have wandered outside, issued an Amber Alert, and began an intensive search of the neighborhood.

The next morning, Blue was arrested by detectives who cited “probable cause” in an arrest warrant. Further details were not released.

Dangerfield was initially charged with child neglect in the case. An arrest warrant alleged she left Tristan alone while she went to work.

Her bond was initially set at $100,000. It has now been increased to 1 million. She was also ordered not to leave the state, surrender her U.S. passport, and have no contact with Steven Blue.