NC baby severely burned after boiling apple cider spills from slow cooker

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

CHARLOTTE, N.C. — A one-year-old Charlotte boy will spend Christmas in Brenner Children’s Hospital after a slow cooker filled with boiling apple cider toppled over on him.

Doctors said about 35 percent of Remy Linkous’ body was burned with second- and third-degree burns. His recovery will be lengthy, they said, and include about a month a month-and-a-half in the hospital. The burning incident occurred on Dec. 21 in Caldwell County, at Patricia Linkous’ mother’s house.

Remy’s father John Linkous said he has seen a lot of “horrible things” as a Marine serving in combat. “But nothing will ever prepare you for seeing your kid in this situation. The first two days were absolutely horrifying.”

Linkous said it’s been difficult not to be able to hold his son.

“I’ve been singing to him,” Linkous said. “I have a lullaby I sing to him when I rock him to sleep so I’ve been humming that to him and singing it as much as I can.”

Remy underwent surgery Tuesday night on his wounds and the next step will be skin grafts.

Seeing their son connected to tubes and wires is heartbreaking but Remy’s happy spirit is shining through, John and Patricia Linkous said.

“Today he actually sat up and played with a few toys, gave me a high five and even smiled,” John Linkous said.

The Linkous family will spend Christmas in the hospital focused on helping their little boy heal.

“I want to hug him and I want to kiss him,” Linkous said

The community is already rallying around the Linkous family. John Linkous’ place of employment has set the family up in a hotel.

A account for their medical bills surpassed $17,000 Tuesday. The Firefighters Burned Children Fund gave the family $1,000 in gift cards to help with other expenses such as gas and food.

If you would like to donate to Remy’s medical fund, visit this GoFundMe webpage.

Notice: you are using an outdated browser. Microsoft does not recommend using IE as your default browser. Some features on this website, like video and images, might not work properly. For the best experience, please upgrade your browser.