90-year-old with ‘no fear’ of jail time for feeding homeless has day in court

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

FORT LAUDERDALE, Fla. — The 90-year-old man who was treated as a criminal for feeding the homeless appeared in court Wednesday morning.

Arnold Abbott has been cited numerous times since a controversial ordinance was passed in Fort Lauderdale in October banning people from feeding the homelesss in public.

Abbott’s supporters expected Fort Lauderdale to formally charge him with refusing to comply with the ordinance today.

However, prosecutors delayed filing formal charges after Broward County Judge Thomas Lynch ruled Tuesday that there were to be no arrests or citations for 30 days.

Abbott has been given time to work things out with the city. The elderly man said last month he is not afraid of the penalties.

“I appreciate all of your concern for my safety, but I have faced the Klu Klux Klan on many occasions, and I have no fear of spending the night in a Fort Lauderdale jail,” Abbott wrote on Facebook.

“Either we resolve the matter or we’ll try the case before the 30 days is up,” attorney John David told WPLG.

Fort Lauderdale Mayor Jack Seiler maintains that the ordinance is meant to protect the public.

 

Notice: you are using an outdated browser. Microsoft does not recommend using IE as your default browser. Some features on this website, like video and images, might not work properly. For the best experience, please upgrade your browser.