Winston-Salem neighborhood hit by spree of break-ins meets with police

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

WINSTON-SALEM, N.C. -- Residents of the Konnoak Neighborhood Watch met Thursday night with police after more than 30 break-ins within the last month.

"We don't want break-ins because once you start tolerating break-ins that a slippery slope," said Carolyn Highsmith with the the neighborhood watch. "We want to keep a healthy neighborhood."

Within the last week five break-ins have been reported.

“You want to know when you go to bed and lay down and rest without anybody bothering you.” said Bob Stone, the latest break-in victim.

Stone is 74 years old, wheelchair-bound and a Navy veteran. Tuesday morning, he woke up to a freezing-cold house and his bedroom door shut.

“I’ve never shut my bedroom door. But when I woke up, and sat up, I saw my bedroom door was shut, and I said this isn’t right, there’s somebody in my house,” he said.

Police told residents they are beefing up patrols and several arrests have already been made with more suspects on their radar. They are asking all residents to report any suspicious activity.

Notice: you are using an outdated browser. Microsoft does not recommend using IE as your default browser. Some features on this website, like video and images, might not work properly. For the best experience, please upgrade your browser.