Philadelphia kidnapper seized another woman, faces more charges

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

Delvin Barnes

A month before Delvin Barnes grabbed a woman off the streets of Philadelphia, he hit a teen with a shovel in Virginia and stuffed her into a car’s trunk, authorities say.

Barnes, 37, was arrested Wednesday after police tracked him down, using his car’s GPS device. It followed his alleged kidnapping of a nurse in Philadelphia.

He was detained about 20 miles southwest of Baltimore.

But before he appears in court for the alleged Philadelphia abduction, he made a detour to Virginia to face charges in another alleged kidnapping.

Maryland extradited him to Virginia, where he was booked and processed Thursday night.

A month apart, but similar

Like in Philadelphia, the abduction in Virginia is just as brazen.

The kidnappings were a month apart and 275 miles away from each other, but they have some similarities.

Both women were younger than the alleged kidnapper: the one in Virginia was 16 while the latest victim, Carlesha Freeland-Gaither, was 22. Police say the teen was sexually abused. CNN does not name victims of sexual abuse.

Though police did not release many details on the Virginia incident, authorities say the victims didn’t know the suspect.

In both cases, their attacker held them for a few days.

Virginia: October 1

In Virginia, a family’s nightmare started when the 16-year-old went missing. Relatives called the Charles City County Sheriff’s Office on October 1.

The victim told police she was hit in the head with a shovel and stuffed into the trunk of a car, according to Capt. Jayson Crawley

She was taken to the home of the suspect’s parents in Charles City County, where she was sexually abused, authorities said.

While there, the suspect showed the teen pictures of other girls he said he had abducted, authorities said.

Two days later, the suspect allegedly brought the then-naked girl into the backyard, poured bleach and gasoline on her, burned her clothes and dug a hole.

He got briefly distracted and the girl fled into the woods. Two miles away, she stumbled into a business, where employees saw her and brought her inside.

Barnes is charged with abduction, forcible rape and malicious wounding with a chemical, among others.

Philadelphia: November 2

Freeland-Gaither was abducted Sunday night after she got off a bus at Philadelphia’s Germantown-Penn Knox area.

As she walked the few blocks to her home, the suspect’s car passed her, turned up the street, then met her at an intersection, according to Philadelphia police Chief Inspector Dennis Wilson.

Then her abductor pounced.

Surveillance video shows Freeland-Gaither forcibly led away after a brief tussle on the ground.

During the struggle, her glasses and cell phone fell to the road. Freeland-Gaither kept fighting — even breaking a passenger side window — but the car sped away.

The whole incident was videotaped.

“I’ve been on the job 46 years, (this is the) first time I’ve ever seen a kidnapping on videotape. (It) really was horrific to watch it unfold,” Philadelphia Police Commissioner Charles Ramsey said.

Barnes admitted to the abduction, according to a criminal complaint.

Suspect left a trail

In Freeland-Gaither’s case, the suspect left behind a string of clues.

A day after the kidnapping, the suspect used her ATM card at a machine in Aberdeen, Maryland. The same day, he used her card to make a purchase at a convenience store.

Police released surveillance video of both transactions.

A car dealer identified Barnes from the videos, and alerted authorities that he had placed a GPS in the suspect’s car because of concerns about his bad credit, authorities said.

Police found the car in Jessup, Maryland, where they rescued Freeland-Gaither on Wednesday night.

She was briefly hospitalized and released Thursday, and then reunited with her family after a harrowing three days.

“She had injuries, but nothing life threatening, fortunately,” Ramsey said.

It’s unclear when Barnes will be arraigned in the Philadelphia case, but it’s unlikely he’ll be free when that happens.

Tracking device

The GPS device in the suspect’s car is used to alert customers when they’re behind on payments and also allows dealers to track down the vehicle and stop it, said PassTime USA CEO Stan Schwartz, the head of the company that made the unit.

Barnes knew the device was in the car.