Child knocks over candle, fire destroys NC home

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

A child knocked a candle over, starting a fire that destroyed his North Carolina home, according to officials. (WSOC-TV)

UNION COUNTY, N.C. — A child knocked a candle over, starting a fire that destroyed his North Carolina home, according to officials.

WSOC-TV reported that the fire in Union County destroyed a house on Richardson King Road on Friday night.

Three people were in the house at the time of the fire — one woman and two children. No one was injured.

Officials said seven fire departments responded and it took around 40 minutes to get the fire under control.

The children were not in the same room as the adult, the fire official said.

A fire official said a candle was burning in a bedroom and one of the children knocked the candle over. The bed then reportedly caught on fire.

Notice: you are using an outdated browser. Microsoft does not recommend using IE as your default browser. Some features on this website, like video and images, might not work properly. For the best experience, please upgrade your browser.