Construction workers witnessed Michael Brown shooting

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

Michael Brown

FERGUSON, Mo. — Two key witnesses to the police shooting of Michael Brown are construction workers who just happened to be working nearby. One spoke exclusively to Fox 2, days after the shooting. The other witness recently came forward to the St. Louis Post-Dispatch.

The two men, who were working for a Jefferson County construction company, watched Michael Brown die from half a football field away. One spoke to Fox 2’s Shirley Washington on Aug. 12. The other, spoke to the St. Louis Post-Dispatch`s Jeremy Kohler for an article published Friday.

Jeremy Kohler said, “The fact he just happened to be there, it was just pure happenstance that he was there. He really couldn’t put him in any kind of camp in terms of what you’d expect him to say.”

Both witnesses said they did not see the reported altercation at the police car, but looked up after hearing a shot or shots.

After a reported foot chase Post reporter Kohler said the worker described a shot fired while Brown was running away then the worker said Brown was “…kind of walking back toward the cop,” his “hands were still up” and the witness described Officer “Wilson backing up as he fired.”

The co-worker who spoke to Fox 2 described hearing two pops, then looked up to see Brown. The co-worker told Fox 2’s Washington on Aug. 12, “I saw him staggering and running and when he finally caught himself he threw his hands up and started screaming OK OK OK OK OK and then the three officers come through the thing and the one just started shooting. ”

The Fox 2 witness immediately wrote down what he saw. He also drew a diagram showing him and his co-worker about 50 yards away. He wrote that the officer “emptied his gun into the guy.”

The newspaper witness said Brown’s hands started going down after the third shot and he reportedly “moved about 25 feet toward Wilson, who kept backing away and firing.”

From the workers’ vantage point, about 50 yards away, the worker who talked to the St. Louis Post-Dispatch said he could not tell if Brown’s motion toward Wilson after the shots was “a stumble to the ground” or “OK, I’m going to get you, you’re already shooting me.”

The co-worker who talked to Fox 2 Aug. 12, described looking up to see Brown, “…stumbling and falling… coming down the street and when he caught himself that`s when he threw his arms up, then here come the officer. At first his gun was down, then walked till he got 8 to 10 feet away from him then shot. I heard six (or) seven shots.”

Both witnesses said they’ve talked to investigators about what they saw.

Notice: you are using an outdated browser. Microsoft does not recommend using IE as your default browser. Some features on this website, like video and images, might not work properly. For the best experience, please upgrade your browser.