Videos show storm damage around the Piedmont Triad

Parents arrested after pulling son with brain cancer out of hospital

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

Ashya King

The parents who pulled their cancer-stricken son from a British hospital and spurred an international search for the boy have been arrested, police said.

Brett and Naghmeh King took their 5-year-old son, Ashya, who has brain cancer, to France and then Spain late last week, authorities said. Hotel staff members in Malaga, Spain, recognized Ashya and his family from media coverage and contacted police.

Authorities did not immediately say what charges they face. British police said the Crown Prosecution Service will be working on extradition efforts.

The arrests came hours after Brett King publicly asserted that he and his wife are not kidnappers and are not neglecting their son.

“We were most disturbed today to find that his face is all over the Internet and newspapers, and we’ve been labeled as kidnappers, putting his life at risk, neglect,” King said in a YouTube video posted Saturday.

The father is seen sitting on a bed with his son leaning against him. He points to a machine on the nightstand next to him.

“We’ve got loads of these feeds here. We’ve got iron supplements and we’ve got Calpol,” an over-the-counter medication, King said. “As you can see, there’s nothing wrong with him. He’s very happy, actually. Since we took him out of hospital, he’s been smiling a lot more. He’s been very much interacting with us.”

He decried the search for him and his wife.

“I just ask, call off this ridiculous chase. We’re not neglecting our son. He’s in perfect health,” King said. “We just want to be left in peace.”

After Ashya was taken from the hospital without authorization Thursday, the family — including Ashya’s six siblings — boarded a ferry and headed to Cherbourg, France, that night, police in Britain said.

Interpol issued an international missing person notice to the agency’s 190 member countries to help find Ashya.

While authorities were searching for the boy, Detective Superintendent Dick Pearson said Ashya is not mobile on his own, cannot communicate verbally and is supposed to be receiving constant medical care because of recent surgery and “ongoing medical issues.”

“Without this specialist 24-hour care, Ashya is at risk of additional health complications which place him at substantial risk,” Pearson said Friday.

After the parents’ arrest Saturday night, authorities acknowledged they could face criticism.

“All of our efforts resulted from explicit medical advice that Ashya’s life was in danger,” said Assistant Chief Constable Chris Shead of Britain’s Hampshire Constabulary.

“I am very aware that there are comments about the rights and wrongs of our approach, but when we are told by experts that any child’s life is at risk we will make no apologies for being as proactive as possible.”

Hampshire police said Ashya was taken to Materno Infantile Hospital in Spain and that the facility was communicating with Southampton General Hospital, where the boy had been removed by his parents.

It was not immediately clear what happened to the Kings’ other children.

Notice: you are using an outdated browser. Microsoft does not recommend using IE as your default browser. Some features on this website, like video and images, might not work properly. For the best experience, please upgrade your browser.