NC boy credited with saving family from house fire

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

MADISON COUNTY, N.C. — A young North Carolina boy is credited with saving his family from a house fire in Madison County.

WLOS-TV reported that 11-year-old A.J. Rollins said he woke up early Wednesday morning and noticed smoke and flames in his family’s home.

“I woke up and it was right in front of me,” Rollins said. “I just ran through the hallways and started waking everybody up.”

The boy said the fire grew bigger as the family rushed to get out. The home is destroyed but the boy’s parents said they consider their family lucky.

“I don’t believe anyone would have survived… if it hadn’t been for A.J. waking up,” said Dwayne Rollins.

Rollins said the Arrington Branch Baptist Church in Marshall is collecting donations to help them get back on their feet.

Notice: you are using an outdated browser. Microsoft does not recommend using IE as your default browser. Some features on this website, like video and images, might not work properly. For the best experience, please upgrade your browser.