Davidson Co. home catches fire after man smoking tries blowing his nose

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

425 North Silver St. in the Silver Valley Community of Davidson County.

DAVIDSON COUNTY, N.C. — A Davidson County home is destroyed after officials said a house fire started when a man smoking a cigarette tried blowing his nose.

Officials said it happened around 3 a.m. at a mobile home at 425 North Silver St. in the Silver Valley Community. The man was not injured.

Authorities said the tissue caught fire when the man smoking tried blowing his nose. He reportedly tried stomping it out, but couldn’t and the fire spread.

Silver Valley fire officials said the home was fully involved by the time they arrived. A man and woman, both in their 60s, lived there and got out safety, officials said.

The fire was out by around 5 a.m., but firefighters were still working on hot spots, according to authorities.

The home is said to be a total loss. The fire marshal is investigating, although it is not said to be suspicious. The American Red Cross is assisting the victims.


  • Bo Diddley

    I’ll huff and I’ll puff and I’ll blow, errr…burn your house down. Only in Davidson county…

  • CWS

    Only in Davidson county? I think not… accidents happen every where… and while you jest about the incident, this family has lost everything…maybe you think about how you would feel if this happend to you….I will be praying for this family.

  • Jim

    This definitely has nothing to do with Davidson County, however, it is appropriate it comes out of Silver Valley. High class livin’ around there.

  • CWS

    I can see there are a lot of high class response to this tragedy too……grow up people! no drugs, no alcohol, no arson involved….yet I see from the low standards and lack of education along with low efforts of morality that some people can take an event that was hurtful and tragic and over tone it with humiliation and comic tone….and tis’ the world today…cruel and stupid….HAVE COMPASSION PEOPLE! this family is struggling…how would you feel?

  • Stephanie Dawn Clark

    It would help if Fox 8 would report the story correctly. He was asleep and the cigarette caught the tissue on fire and then spread to the house while he was STILL SLEEPING. Then when he awoke he tried putting the fire out, but the house was to consumed by flames. This an older couple that lost everything they own. Including their family pet. People should be a lot more compassionate and say how can I help this family instead of “Oh their must have been some type of substances involved.” By the way I know this because it is part of my family. So please say a prayer instead of judging before know what happen.

Comments are closed.

Notice: you are using an outdated browser. Microsoft does not recommend using IE as your default browser. Some features on this website, like video and images, might not work properly. For the best experience, please upgrade your browser.