Judge bans contractors from work after Boone hotel deaths

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

Left to right: Daryl Jenkins, Shirley Jenkins and Jeffrey Williams.

BOONE, N.C. — A judge has issued an injunction against maintenance workers who installed a used swimming pool water heater at the Best Western in Boone, where three guests died last year of carbon monoxide poisoning.

According to the Charlotte Observer, three employees and the company they work for, Appalachian Hospitality Management, are banned from “engaging in business as a plumbing, heating or fire sprinkler contractor.”

Carbon monoxide from the swimming pool heating system infiltrated a room on the floor above and killed Daryl and Shirley Jenkins last April and 11-year-old Jeffrey Williams in June.

Damon Mallatere, who owned Appalachian Hospitality, was indicted in January on three charges of involuntary manslaughter and one charge of assault inflicting serious bodily injury.

Read more: Charlotte Observer

Notice: you are using an outdated browser. Microsoft does not recommend using IE as your default browser. Some features on this website, like video and images, might not work properly. For the best experience, please upgrade your browser.