WINSTON-SALEM, N.C. — A discarded cigarette led to a fire that badly damaged a home in Winston-Salem Thursday evening.
Firefighters were dispatched to 5533 Francis Court around 5:30 p.m.
One person was in the house at the time of the fire but made it outside without injuries.
Officials say a discarded cigarette caught tree debris in the yard from the recent storms on fire. The fire then spread to the siding on the house and was fueled by strong winds.
The home is heavily damaged, with over half the roof gone.
The fire has been extinguished.