Watch live 6 p.m. – Bennett College holds press conference to discuss accreditation ruling

Huge ditch forming in Winston-Salem neighborhood; yards washing away

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

WINSTON-SALEM, N.C. - Viola Kimbrough's backyard is washing away.

"My biggest fear is [my neighbors] house is going to collapse and I don't know how much of [my yard] it's going to take away," said Kimbrough, who lives at the end of Kestevens Street in the Twin Cedars neighborhood.

She says ever since Walmart went up a few years ago nearby more stormwater has flowed into the drainage ditch between her and the foreclosed home next door.

The ditch, more than 20 feet deep, was originally put in by the neighborhood developers.

"I have grandchildren here every day and I cannot allow my kids to come around this side of the house to ride bikes," said Kimbrough.

City officials say they don't maintain drain pipes on private property, such as the Kimbrough's yard, though have offered to pay 70 percent of the total cost to correct the problem. Kimbrough and the foreclosed property next door would split the remaining 30 percent which equals $70,000.

FOX8 contacted city officials Friday, who revisited the property for a second look. City officials say they plan to review the problem and cost again.

"This is a monster project," said City Councilwoman Molly Leight. "I couldn't afford to pay 30 percent of this."

Leight visited the site for herself Friday afternoon and says she will talk with city officials about doing more.

"We are going to have to make this a special case," Leight said.

9 comments

  • Phillip

    The city approves the private developer plans and then when they cause damage to homeowners, they always say the developer is responsible. We had the same problem with the city of Kernersville after our basement was flooded by a drainage ditch next to our house.Luckily it only cost us $8000.

  • thegreatspirit13

    The bank who forclosed on the property next door should pay up. If it’s happening on that property it should be the bank who owns the property that should correct the problem, not the person next door. Doesn’t surprise me how a bank will do everything it can to get someone else to take responsibility for their mess.

    • Jessica Matt Poff

      That is what I am afraid of is going to happen next. I would be afraid if I was that lady. I hope they can get this resolved. Because if she was to try and sell to get out, nobody in their right mind would buy her property because of this.

  • Mark Stabler

    Another case of broken pipes. Yes, someone from the City or County approved this site plan and dranage pipes involved. Maybe even DNHR. Now these pipes 20 feet under ground have failed and water is eroding the area and will continue until a sufficient opening is available to handle all of the water that flows in this area. The approving authority and they people that installed these pipes need to take responsibility. The City also needs to check into the amount they are paying to get this kind of work done. They could almost buy the two adjacents houses, tear them down and forget about the creek being formed for the cost they have attached to fixing the problem. Don’t they have employees drawing a salary to handle this kind of problem and aren’t they drawing that salary if they are doing any work or not? Geat real.

Comments are closed.

Notice: you are using an outdated browser. Microsoft does not recommend using IE as your default browser. Some features on this website, like video and images, might not work properly. For the best experience, please upgrade your browser.