Greensboro Fire officials share tips to surviving cold weather
GREENSBORO, N.C. — The Greensboro Fire Department wants to remind residents about the dangers associated with extreme cold.
• Have food on hand that requires no refrigeration, such as bread, crackers, cereal, canned foods and dried fruits.
• Medicines that any family member may need.
• Have an alternate way to heat your home during a power failure: dry firewood for a fire place or wood stove, or kerosene for a kerosene heater. Keep combustible materials at least three-feet away from heating equipment, like fireplaces, wood stoves, or portable space heaters.
• Never use your oven for heating.
• Never use an electric generator indoors, inside the garage, or near the air intake of your house because of risk of carbon monoxide poisoning.
• Always turn off portable heaters when leaving the room or going to bed.
• If you have pets, bring them indoors. If you cannot bring them indoors, provide adequate shelter to keep them warm and make sure they have access to unfrozen water.
• Have water stored in clean containers or purchased water (5 gallons per person) in case your water pipes freeze.
• To prevent water pipes from freezing, leave all water taps slightly open so they drip continuously. If your pipes do freeze, never thaw then with a torch. Instead thaw them slowly by directing the warm air from an electric hair dryer onto the pipes.
• Install and maintain carbon monoxide (CO) alarms, as well as regular smoke alarms.
• Always use the right kind of fuel, specified by the manufacturer, for fuel burning space heaters.
Deputy Fire Marshal Todd Lynch reminds residents that if they do not have a working smoke alarm, the Greensboro Fire Department offers the alarm and installation free of charge by calling 336-574-4088.