Greensboro firefighters offer safety tips on space heaters

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.
Data pix.

GREENSBORO, N.C. -- With colder weather and wind sweeping across the Piedmont, many may be reaching for the space heater to stay warm.

The Greensboro Fire Department is reminding people of a few safety tips that could not only prevent fires but save lives.

When using space heaters, firefighters say it’s best to unplug the heater when you leave the room for extended amounts of time and to keep a 3-foot buffer zone between the heater and flammables.

If you’re looking to buy a space heater, GFD recommends a model that will turn off if tipped over.

Greensboro fire also recommends checking smoke alarm batteries and installing carbon monoxide alarms as you bring out the space heaters and turn on the gas this winter. Also, batteries should be replaced at least once a year and checked once a month.

Two-thirds of fire deaths happen at homes where there are no working smoke alarms, according to GFD.

Residents are urged to have smoke alarms on every level of their home, outside bedrooms and inside each bedroom.

If you do not have a working smoke alarm in your home, the Greensboro Fire Department offers the alarm and installation free of charge.

For more information about the free program, visit

Notice: you are using an outdated browser. Microsoft does not recommend using IE as your default browser. Some features on this website, like video and images, might not work properly. For the best experience, please upgrade your browser.