8-year-old boy saves mom in house fire
LENOIR, N.C. — An 8-year-old boy in Lenoir is being called a hero after family members say he woke his mother after noticing their home was on fire.
According to WSOC, the boy forced open the front door Tuesday morning after waking to flames and smoke spreading through the home.
Megan Stanfield suffered second- and third-degree burns to nearly one-third of her body after the home caught fire while she and her son slept.
“He’s a hero,” the mother’s boyfriend, Johnny Bumgarner said. “He saved his mama’s life. They say he’s the reason she woke up.”
Fire investigators believe the fire was accidental, starting in a part of the home where they say Stanfield was asleep.
Family members said in the confusion she went looking for her son before getting out.
Neighbors said they are praying for the single mother, who had just bought Christmas gifts last week for her son.
Those gifts are now gone.
It was reported that the two escaped with only the clothes they were wearing.