WINNING POWERBALL NUMBERS: 19-47-68-60-43 (10)

Three investigations continue into WSSU QB assault

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

Rudy Johnson

Three investigations are being conducted into last week’s incident in which Rams’ quarterback Rudy Johnson was beaten up in a campus restroom by at least one Virginia State football player.

Winston-Salem State University police, Virginia State University and the CIAA are conducting the inquiries into the incident. WSSU officials will cooperate with any agency investigating the case, said Aaron Singleton, a WSSU spokesman.

The CIAA Commissioner Jacqie Carpenter said Tuesday in a prepared statement that conference officials are still gathering information about last Friday’s incident at the CIAA awards luncheon.

Carpenter has requested written reports from coaches Latrell Scott of Virginia State and Connell Maynor of WSSU and from other administrators who were at the luncheon at the Anderson Center.

“After reviewing the submissions from the involved institutions with the information gathered, we will determine our next steps,” Carpenter said. “Our ultimate goal remains ensuring, to the extent possible, that this type of occurrence never happens again. The integrity of and opportunities for our student-athletes rely on all of us getting this right.”

The incident occurred during the banquet at the Anderson Center in which both teams attended. Johnson said Monday that he was attacked by at least six VSU players. The incident led CIAA officials to cancel last Saturday’s CIAA championship football game between WSSU and Virginia State at Bowman Gray Stadium.

The CIAA also ruled that VSU was ineligible to play in the Division II playoffs.

Reserve running back, Lamont Darnell Britt, 22, of Portsmouth, Va., was charged last Friday with misdemeanor assault inflicting serious injury in connection with the attack on Johnson, an arrest warrant says. Britt has been suspended from the VSU team pending its investigation of the incident.

Johnson suffered a swollen eye and a cut above his right eye. His back and ribs also were sore after the incident, he said. Johnson is expected to play Saturday when WSSU meets Slippery Rock in the first round of the Division II playoffs at Bowman Gray Stadium.

WSSU police questioned three other Spartan players, but they were not charged. Scott downplayed the possibility that other VSU players could be charged in the case, saying “there was a rush to judgment.”

WSSU Chancellor Donald Reaves has said that his school is preparing a file a complaint with the CIAA and NCAA about the incident. Singleton said that the complaint will take a week or longer to prepare and will likely be a public record after it is filed.

Notice: you are using an outdated browser. Microsoft does not recommend using IE as your default browser. Some features on this website, like video and images, might not work properly. For the best experience, please upgrade your browser.