Durham student dies of possible meningitis
DURHAM, N.C. — A school in Durham did not hold classes Thursday following the death of a student – possibly from meningitis.
According to WTVD, parents at Mount Zion Christian Academy in Durham said the school handed out notices as they drove up with their children Thursday morning.
Parents were told the school was taking measures to disinfect the building.
Meningitis is an inflammation of the brain and spinal cord. According to the Centers for Disease Control, there are two main types that are infectious, bacterial and viral, which can be spread through close contact with another person or improper hand washing.
It was reported that the Durham Health Department was investigating a “probable” case of meningitis, but would not confirm any other details.
Parents at Mount Zion said they were told to contact their health care provider if anyone in their family shows symptoms of infection, including: Fever, headache, and a stiff neck.