Dolphins suspend Richie Incognito as NFL investigates Jonathan Martin case
The Miami Dolphins have suspended offensive lineman Richie Incognito after allegations of misconduct lodged by offensive lineman Jonathan Martin, who left the NFL team last week.
According to multiple reports, the NFLPA is looking into Incognito’s role into alleged harassment of Martin.
According to FOX Sports, the final straw was when a group of teammates stood up and left when Jonathan Martin tried to join them for lunch.
Martin also endured personal and family insults and was given the nickname “Big Weirdo,” FOX Sports reported.
Incognito was suspended “for conduct detrimental to the team.”
“We believe in maintaining a culture of respect for one another,” the Dolphins said in a statement.
Earlier Sunday, the Dolphins announced that Martin’s representatives had made “allegations of player misconduct.” The team did not identify the target of those allegations, but Incognito’s Twitter account denied media reports that Martin accused him of bullying.
“Shame on you for attaching my name to false speculation,” one of the tweets said, according to Bleacher Report. That tweet and others addressed to various media outlets were deleted later.
Last week, the Dolphins announced Martin had taken “a leave of absence.” At the time, the team said Martin had made no allegations of bullying.
The team said Sunday it had asked the NFL “to conduct an objective and thorough review.”
Before the suspension was announced, a spokesman for the NFL Players Association said the union had not launched an investigation.
But the spokesman, George Atallah, said in a statement, “The NFLPA believes that management has an obligation to ensure a safe and professional workplace, and we will continue to be in close touch with our player leaders and all players involved as the information develops.”