Northern Guilford forfeits football game after reported violation
GREENSBORO, N.C. – Northern Guilford High School is forfeiting a football victory after reporting an athletic violation.
Guilford County Schools announced Monday that the school reported an athletic-eligibility violation to the North Carolina High School Athletic Association.
Officials said the violation occurred during the Friday, Sept. 13 against Williams High School. Under NCHSAA rules, up to 12 junior varsity players are allowed to play in a varsity game.
Northern Guilford had 13 junior varsity players, one more than what is allowed, officials said.
School officials said they discovered the mistake the day after the game and immediately reported it to district staff.
District officials reported the violation to the NCHSAA, which determined it was an eligibility violation.
Northern will forfeit its 49-7 win against Williams, essentially ending a 31-game winning streak.
“Our students, staff and community are disappointed that this happened, and that we have to forfeit last week’s game,” said Northern Principal Will Laine, in a prepared statement. “But the most important thing we can teach our students is to follow the rules. When you make a mistake, you own up to it and work to make sure it doesn’t happen again.”
Guilford County Schools said they follow the North Carolina High School Athletic Association rules for interscholastic athletic contests.
The rules require districts to report players who are determined ineligible.
Consequences for the violations are determined by the NCHSAA, and can include forfeiting games, as well as a fine.
Since Guilford County Schools self-reported the violation, the resulting $500 fine was cut in half to $250.