Rhino bites off woman’s finger at Denver Zoo

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.
Data pix.

DENVER, Colo. -- A woman lost her finger to a rhinoceros at the Denver Zoo during an animal feeding session for visitors.

The zoo suspended the feeding program indefinitely following Wednesday's incident. The program allowed guests to pay an extra $60 to touch and feed a rhino.

Zoo officials say they don’t believe the rhino was trying to harm the woman.

“We don’t believe this was an aggressive action, just a terrible and unfortunate accident,” they said.

The rhinoceros has been living in the Denver Zoo since it was born in 1993.

Notice: you are using an outdated browser. Microsoft does not recommend using IE as your default browser. Some features on this website, like video and images, might not work properly. For the best experience, please upgrade your browser.