John Mellencamp’s son to practice with Duke after charges

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

19-year-old Hud Mellencamp

DURHAM, N.C. — Rocker John Mellencamp’s son will continue practicing with the Duke football team after being charged with punching and kicking a man last month.

The Associated Press reported that Duke coach David Cutcliffe said 19-year-old Hud Mellencamp will remain active in practice and “we’ll let the legal due process occur.”

Hud Mellencamp, his 18-year-old younger brother Speck Mellencamp and another 19-year-old man are accused of assaulting a 19-year-old man July 29 in Bloomington, Ind.

Authorities said Speck Mellencamp entered the porch of the victim’s home and punched him in the face.

Court documents said the brothers and a third suspect “punched, kicked and stomped” the man who suffered facial injuries.

CBS Sports reported that the fight was in response to Speck Mellencamp getting hit in the face during a party at the home earlier that night.

Hud Mellencamp surrendered for arrest earlier this week and was released on bond.

He reportedly walked on to Duke’s football team in 2012 with no high school playing experience. GoDuke.com lists Mellencamp as a 5-foot-11, 165 pound cornerback sophomore from Bloomington, Ind. He did not see any game action last year.

Hud’s father, John Mellencamp, has sold millions of pop/rock albums worldwide and was especially popular in the 1980s with songs like “Jack and Diane,” “Hurts So Good” and “Small Town.”

Read more: The Associated Press and CBS Sports